Thursday 30 May 2013

Fan thoughts: @PutItInTheMixer

Liverpool fan @PutItInTheMixer answers five quick LFC related questions in today’s Fan Thoughts. What do you think of his answers?


What is your first memory of being a Liverpool fan?

Properly – 2001. The Owen final.

I was always an adoring fan of the England hero and still am to this day, so that day was even more so special than it could have been for others. Coming out triumphant in a final for any fan is special. On top of that you have it being the FA Cup Final. Then, we were underdogs! It was just the perfect final. Liverpool seem to be pretty good in finals as the underdogs.

The goal to wrap it up was rather special too, right?

The ball is picked up on the edge of the Liverpool box from an Arsenal corner and passed exquisitely forward to the roadrunner-like Owen. In his prime, that was his favourite situation; defender with his back to goal, running at full pace and plenty of space to run into. He makes the defender look a mug and finishes in a style that only Owen, at the time, could have.
                                                                 

Describe your actions/feelings at halftime of Istanbul.

What’s the opposite of euphoria? You know when you buy and expensive ice cream on the beach and then as soon as you hand over your hard earned money, you drop the bastard thing on the floor? That’s the first 45 minutes of Istanbul.

I had committed everything in believing this was going to be magic and then it crumbled in front of me in no uncertain terms. Utterly distraught, and with little real fight left in me, I ditched my Liverpool shirt after the first 45 minutes. I’d had enough. I just wanted to go to bed. (I didn’t and it was rather a good second half)


Name your LFC best XI, from players you have watched.

Dudek (dodgy polish goatee puts him ahead of Pepe), Johnson, Hyypia, Carragher, Riise – Xabi Alonso, Gerrard, Hamann – Downing, Suarez, Torres, Owen.

How good would that be. Gerrard as the shuttle, Hamann and Xabi as the double pivot. Suarez then sitting behind a Spaniard and Owen at his peak. That centre half partnership was rock solid and then I have two forward thinking full backs as Hamann and Alonso could fill in. Carragher has played as a full back before so that would work brilliantly.


Who is your favourite player to have never been at LFC, and why?

There is an obvious Argentine – but I won’t say him. Then there’s this Portuguese lad…

No, no. I’m admirer of the France ’98 team. That double winning national side had brilliance running through it. I’d have loved Makelele, Henry and Trezeguet all at their peak, that’s for sure. But (and it’s a big but) the player I’d have loved to have seen at Liverpool was Monsieur Zidane.

The French master and Ronaldinho would have been perfect fits in Liverpool’s midfield, at their peak. The tenacity of Ronaldinho, for some reason, makes me dislike him in comparison to Zidane. The Real Madrid star had the grace and elegance that I look for in a creative player. I don’t think we have had a player like that in the modern Liverpool time – with exception to Jari Litmannen. When Zidane is on the ball, anything can happen and it’s that uncertainty that puts football above any other sport in the world.


Name five realistic signings you would make this summer, if you were Brendan Rodgers.

It looks as if we are wrapping up Kyriakos Papadopoulos from Schalke 04 and I’m certainly excited to see that, if it comes off. Not that I’ve seen much of him, but he can’t be worse than Martin Skrtel.

I’d buy Hatem Ben Arfa. He is creative and I don’t think he’d be as expensive after Newcastle’s dud season as perhaps he would have been last season if we had enquired. Our medical staff are the best in the world – so I think we can take a gamble on his injury record.

I want more South American’s. Give me Douglas on a free – I’d have him over Kolo Toure, but it looks as if the latter is done and dusted.

I’d say Reina is on his way out at the end of the season, so I’d also like us to enquire about Andre ter Stegen. Although I do think this could be quite unrealistic – I think if we fluttered enough cash in front of his eyes, knowing that we need a top class goalkeeper, he could be persuaded.


Can I be really out there and say we need another world class finisher? We need to start to plan life without Suarez, no matter when are where he goes. Bring in Miroslav Klose from Lazio. The bloke can’t miss and I think his movement with a player like Sturridge and Coutinho equals certain goals. He’s my ‘off the wall’ choice. It will never happen. We are afraid of foreigners.


Please comment/share. Follow @whatahitsonlfc & @PutItInTheMixer on twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment